Monday, November 22, 2010

November 22nd, 2010 "Say hello to diarea!"

¡Hola mi Familia!

Wow another crazy week in tropical wasteland. Jk. This week was a WHOLE lot better than last week. I don´t even know where to start. Well I will get this out of the way. Here is my address so you can send letters and stuff.

Misión El Salvador San Salvador Oeste/Belice
Boulevard del Hipódromo #537
Colonia San Benito
Apartado Postal #367
San Salvador, El Salvador, C.A.

K and when you send something make sure you have all of that. The Apartado part is like P.O. BOX and if you don´t put that in there they charge like 50 bucks I have to pay. So please don´t haha :)

Well onto the real stuff I will start with the bad news. That girl that we had the date with, well we have taught her everyday I have been here. She has a testimony and is the perfect investigator. But she is from North Carolina and is going back on sunday and she feels that she would feel more comfortable knowing members over their and get baptized over there. Which when she told us that my companion tried to kind of talk her out of that. He is the DL and wants numbers, so at times that is hard for me. We ended up not baptizing her but she will in the states so I am excited.

I was telling my companion about D&C 18 how it says if you just save one soul how great your reward will be. I was saying that we didn´t baptize her, but it doesn´t say, if you just baptize one soul. We helped her on her way and I think that counts. I am excited for her.

The language barrier has been hard at times. My comp has a short fuse and when I don´t know the words it kind of ticks him off. But I am trying to help him. But my spanish seriously is awesome. I do most of our contacts and my companion yesterday was kind of angry and didn´t want to really teach so he asked if I would. I ended up teaching the whole lesson and it went awesome. We are going back tuesday.

I did a split with one of the zone leaders 2 days ago and we contacted and talked and he told me at the end of the night that my spanish is good enough to be a trainer. I told him I am not even close, nor do I want to, but it was kind of uplifting.

Yesterday I got to go to our branch (cause we have a ward and a branch cause our area is 2 areas in one). It was an experience. Only 40 people came, it was all outside. It was pretty sweet, I liked it a lot. The people here are so nice and especially our Mission Leaders. This past week we have almost done a split every day. It was kind of hard the first time cause I didn´t know the area all that well, but it has gotten easier.

OH YA! so why I have that subject headline. Sorta self explanatory, but hear this. I left the MTC at 183 pounds. I checked the scale yesterday and after only 2 weeks here I am at 176 and that was in all my clothes with my shoes on. I have got to be 170 now. That is 13 lbs in one week. If you want to lose wait come here haha. But i was told by one of the missionaries here that most skinny guys lose weight then about half way through start gaining weight.

I was thoroughly happy the other day. We had to go to San Salvador for something and we went there and needed to get lunch while we were there and what did we end up getting? ¡Wendys! I was so excited it tasted so good! Everything here is so cheap. At the little tiendas everything is under a dollar. A bottle of soda is 30 cents, a bag of chips is 10 cents. Its sweet.

K I know what you need to send me... Candy. There is NO american candy here. One of the elders here got laffy taffys and ever since I have wanted some. I want laffy taffys, licorice, beef jerky, skittles, starbursts. IT is almost sad that they don´t have this stuff, but they do have other sweets that are good too.

Lets see what else. Just a lot of teaching. We have this investigator we will probably get a baptismal date with this week. He is this 60 year old man named francisco, really smart guy and really nice. He loves the book of mormon. It is cool.
OH so i got to listen to your message. It was AWESOME to hear all of you, it was a little bit long, but I really liked it. The freaking nephews are so stinking cute! i love them. OH and it is probably around Thanksgiving so happy thanksgiving! They don´t celebrate it here so It doesn´t really effect me.

Although everyone here has been putting up there christmas trees also. It has been wierd.

I also attached some pictures I thought you all would like. The pics are of me and my comp. My bathroom and how tiny it is, I actually have to duck for quite a few houses. Us in front of our ward house, our district, our house.

Well not much else. The culture shock is just about gone and that is nice. I am much more used to everything and my apartment is starting to feel more and more like home. Well I love you all and thank you all so much for the support. I love hearing about everything that is going on in your lives. Jof and kylie I can imagine your trip will be awesome, Hilz that is freaking awesome about your tv show, Kels i knew you would love the play and tell Alex and brad I say hi. Also you can give my email address to alex. I got permission from my Mission president to write other missionaries.

But I love you all so much and thank you. Love you mom and dad so much. I pray for everyone each night. I really do feel safe hear. Never thought I would think that, but I do and I want you all to know that. Talk to you next week.

Elder ¨Dano¨ Gillette



1 comment:

  1. So glad you posted the last few pics, for some reason I couldn't open them. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete