Monday, August 8, 2011

August 8, 2011: Up!!! then down





HOLA FAMILIA!

Well looks like the family is all doing well. I loved all the pictures from the baby blessing. Sounds like the blessing went super good. Congrats to Joff for the new baby, the blessing, and the 7 dollar bike. Looks like basil is loving that thing. Really everyone is looking really good and healthy and stuff. I always pray for you all and I hope for the best.

So over here in El Salvador it has been going..... Good? I started off the week SUPER good and was so excited to get out for the work. We got out and all of the investigators were doing good. We were teaching great lessons and everything. The members were starting to get super excited cause We really starting trying to work with them and get them to help us. We were really having fun and all was good.

Then Thursday we were going to do interchanges. I went to another area for a day, the area is called Tacuba, and the district leader was going to go to my area and do the interviews of all my investigators for baptism. I left and really that day in Tacuba was a whole lot of fun. It is so amazingly beautiful. We took some pictures and I will try to send them to you. We got some pretty good lessons in and all, but nothing spectacular. We ate some super delicious pupusas there though which I always love. We got back to the house and the district leader called me that night. He told me that only 2 of the 4 passed their interviews. Oh, it sucked so bad. I asked him what happened and I guess with one of the girls he went in to interview here and right as they started she said "I don't want to be baptized". So I don't really know what happened after that, but she ended up not getting baptized. The other, his name is William and is 21 years old and really a great guy, told us that he has quit drinking coffee, but I guess he really hadn't. It was a real bummer.

So I came back on Friday and we got out to work again and we were teaching some really good lessons and we went to go to this couple and they are 2 of our most positive investigators. We went to their house and started talking to them and they just looked spiritually dead. They didn't even really want to look at our faces and just the room was empty. It was one of the worst and hardest lessons that I have ever seen just because they looked like... I don't even know, but they didn't really want to hear from us anymore. It was kind of a hard hit.

But luckily we still had two with baptismal dates for this past weekend. Rita and Katarin are their names. Really good people and the mom really wants to do good stuff for her children. The only trial is that they are extremely poor. They have a house that a charity built for them, but it is tiny and they all sleep on the floor. It really is sometimes hard to go over there, but they are really ready for this gospel. They passed there interviews and they really wanted to get baptized.

Well everything came down to yesterday. We had to have all these investigators come to church or they couldn't get baptized and to meet our goal we needed some miracles. We went in the morning and everyone said they were all good to go and that they were going to go to church. Rita and Katarin had to go just one more time to church and then after they could get baptized after church. We brought to church with us Iris (who got baptized last week) so that she could get confirmed and another new investigator Gabriel. We got in and started talking to everyone and actually a lot of in-actives we had talked to in the week had come, but all the investigators didn't show up. We had 2 investigators come in all, but aren't super positive, but we will work with them. Rita and Katarin... they didn't come to church... so they didn't get baptized yesterday. Everyone came up to us all day asking what happened, cause like I said we had been trying to get the members excited for this work and in doing so excited for the baptisms. So when they don't happen they get pretty bummed too.

Yesterday we went with a member and she gave us a bunch of references which were good. After we went to talk with the investigators that didn't go to church. Rita didn't go cause one of her family members said if she went to her house at 8, right when our church starts, that she would give her some money. So she went for the money instead of church, which I can't completely blame but it was still hard.

With a group of really good investigators, they now have a friend who is telling them all bad stuff about the church and really getting them down about going to church.

This week I saw a lot of trials. It was pretty hard. I read in Mosiah 4:27 after church though in my personal reading though and it really helped me. It talks how everything is done in order. How if we work diligently then we will receive our reward. I really like that cause last night we did our numbers and I saw that we completed almost all of our weekly goals we had set and that we at least helped our assistance go up a lot.

I pray and fast that this week will go a bit better and that we can get the testimony after the test of our faith like it says in Ether 12:6. I love the Gospel and especially the scriptures. If someone needs help the scriptures (and especially Christ) has the comforting words. I read a lot and studied the parables of Christ. Good stuff.

I love you all and will talk to you next week.
Elder Gillette

No comments:

Post a Comment