Monday, October 3, 2011

October 3, 2011: General Conference 3

Hola Familia!
 
  Wow, what a great weekend. It was great, but also sort of weird. Just because whenever now that I have a constant schedule, but the schedule gets changed for like a day or two, I feel super weird. This week was super good mainly because of General Conference, but I will touch on that later.
 
  This week we were off and running trying to get everything ready for our recents converts Mama Iris and Little Iris to go to the temple. My ward went this past week for the first time to the temple and we had been hoping we could get our converts to go with them. The ward was going to go on Thursday and so we decided we would get everything ready on Wednesday. Tuesday in the night though we recieved a call saying we were going to go to Santa Ana the next morning til like 6. So we left super early and didn't get back til about 6 and then we ran the whole day to try and get everything ready. I really am super blessed to have such a great bishop (Obispo Zambrano) and get along so well with him. I went to his house and told him about Iris and he said it was almost all ready. That he had done most of the stuff. I felt so relieved. It is so much easier when you have the help of the leaders. 
 
   We went and saw Iris and her husband was there. They were in a bit of a shock. What happened was that they went to San Salvador on Wednesday and there bus crashed and like 3 people in the front of the bus died. Luckily she said she had felt inspired to sit in the back with her 1 year old kid. She said nothing happened to them. I then asked why they had gone to San Salvador and she said that on Tuesday she had won a brand new phone. I was so surprised. Her husband then told us that he believes it is for the path that she is taking right now. That she had gotten baptized. He isn't even a member and hearing that from him was amazing. I could see in her the gratitude she had in that moment for the Gospel.
 
   The next night we passed by. I entered in the house of theirs and felt super good. I then asked her what they did that was so different in the house. She told me nothing. We sat down and starting talking. She then told us about how her day was great and then it occured to me that they had gone to the temple. They had done baptisms for the dead and they had loved it! I was so excited. They said the feeling that they got was amazing and the best part was the members were so good to them. They all had bought hymn books and triples. I am so excited for them. The dad wants to get baptized, but just has to find a new job.
 
   We have been working like crazy and we have seen some great results from our work and much better lessons. I have been able to understand a lot better and just ask better questions. I can tell we are working a lot harder, because we have been starting to do weird things in the night. I, almost every night, fall asleep in my hammock and then at one o'clock in the morning wake up and go to bed. I got up at 1 thirty one night in my hammock and got up and right as I got up Elder Trump yelled at me in an english spanish jibberish and it super scared me. I was scared to look at him cause I was half asleep and I was scared he would be there waiting to like kill me, but when I looked he was out on his bed. I got him back a couple days later cause He told me he woke up to me speaking in the middle of the night  saying, "¿Que dice la hermana de ir a la iglesia? ¡SÍ! " Which means "What says the sister about going to church? YES!" I was cracking up when he told me. I have been working so hard that I am trying to help people in my sleep go to church also. haha
 
    The multizone that we had on Wednesday was super good. It is fun to go back to old areas in Santa Ana and pass the places I have been to. I like actually being able to know most of the people here. I saw two of my old comps (Elder Romero and Elder Bonilla). I don't talk too much to elder Bonilla (my trainer), but Elder Romero is like one of my best friends now. 
 
    This weekend was just amazing though. I think its funny how I never watched conference before at all, but now I die to see it. All 5 sessions just fly by so fast. I love what they all talk about and see how usually there is like a topic a lot touch. I decided before that I would write down 5 questions. The conference started and my first 2 questions got answered in the first 2 talks it was amazing. I had other questions that I had not even written down answered too. 
 
   I especially love the Priesthood Session. I still always miss training table before, but I decided after to get the Training Table of El Salvador... Pupusas haha. Really the stuff they talked about in Preisthood was amazing. I wish I would have heard the talk of Elder Holland before my mission. I believe that every 14- 19 year old kid should hear it. I also loved President Packer. Not gonna lie I feel like he knows he is going to pass away soon, but before he does he is going to tell everything the way it should be. 
 
   I thought that Neil L. Andersons talk was interesting about why we shouldn't wait to have kids. 
 
   I really love, like always, the talks of the prophet Thomas S. Monson. The talk from Priesthood was awesome and I invite all of you to read it rather on the internet or when the Ensign comes out. It really helped me. 
 
   I liked that most of the talks were based on service it seems like. Service rather it be missionary work or service we can do for our neighbor. One of the General Authorities opened saying the 2 Great commandments are Love God and Love your neighbor and that everything else is a break off of that. I heard a lot of wise words today and I hope I can apply them. Thats one thing I have become a lot better at in the mission. That we can read or hear something, but if we don't put it into practice we will never really learn it. 
 
   I am excited, like always for this next week. It is good to hear that Sweet Tooth Fairy is doing good and opened a new store. I know that they couldn't do it without Hilary. I am sorry about what happened with the house. I was like cringing the whole time that I was reading the message from mom. Jeez mom! When I read about how you slipped I almost died. Be careful, but it will be a hilarious story after this is all over haha. I do hope you all keep enjoying the wheather for me also, because the weather here is just getting hotter and hotter. We will start the dry season at the end of this month. 
 
   Can't believe I only have one more General Conference in the mission. That is crazy.
 
   Well I love you all a lot and I hope you have a great day and week.
 
Elder Gillette

No comments:

Post a Comment