Wednesday, July 13, 2011

July 11, 2011: El Templo

Hello Family,

Wow, so this week was so stinking crazy. I did a TON of stuff it feels like. I don't even know were to start. I guess I will start from the beginning (it is always a good place to start). So like I told you last week we were going to celebrate fourth of July with a couple members from our ward and also a couple other missionaries. It ended up being a lot of fun. We ate a bunch of hot dogs and lit off these super ghetto fireworks. We took a whole bunch of photos and it was a good way to spend fourth of July. One of the missionaries brought a giant American flag, so of course we took a picture with it.

The next morning, on Tuesday, we went to the temple. We go to the chapel at 6 in the morning and it was crazy with everyone. My bishop didn't think many people would come and wants to save money so he only bought 2 buses for the day. We started loading people on the buses and we filled up the first bus super quick and I was thinking we weren't going to fit everyone. We then start packing the second one and we really packed it. We had the whole middle of the bus filled with people. It was crazy. It took an hour and a half squished into this bus to get to San Salvador. We finally got there and the temple is so stinking beautiful. I hadn't seen the temple in a good 5 months so it was sweet to finally see it again. We got off and counted how many people were in the two buses and we counted that 2 buses that should fit 65 maximum each. Fit about 90 each. It was crazy.

We got off and we watched this video first that they showed us. Then we got to go through the temple. This was actually my first temple open house ( I didn't go to the Draper and I don't understand why). It is SO beautiful inside. It is gigantic from the outside, but the inside is a bit smaller. I loved it though. Someone told me that on ksl.com you can see pictures of it. The baptismal font is so amazing. I loved the whole place (obvious). It was fun to see the people who went. A couple of our investigators and my 2 recent converts in this area went. I also got to see the wife of my old bishop which was super weird. I am super excited cause we are going again this Friday. I hope that this time our bishop gets more buses.

This guy Giovanni was there and he had a baptismal date for that day after we went to the temple. Before we went he was a little unsure about getting baptized. We went to the temple and I talked to him after and he couldn't stop talking about how good he felt. We ended up getting back to the chapel and got everything ready and he got baptized after. He is a super funny guy and he would not smile at all for the pictures. I sent a picture of the baptism and he looks like he wants to kill the camera man. He is a good guy. Yesterday he came to church and got confirmed. I printed out this picture and gave it to him during the last hour of church and he was just looking at it the whole time. He came up to me after church super excited and he wants to start working with us. He is super great guy and I am excited to see him in the church.

Wednesday I went on interchanges for the first time since coming in this area. I went to this area called Tacuba. It is an hour bus ride away from Ahuachapan. It is really far, but super cool. I loved my time there and it was fun to see another area and help out there. I met this girl who has a baptismal date named Carla and she is the smartest, most super genius, 13 year old girl. We were teaching about The Plan of Salvation and I asked her what she had heard of about Adam and Eve (thinking she would say like, "oh they are the first people here on the earth" or something like that). She then goes off on this 15 minute explanation on Adam and Eve and The Fall and what she read in the Bible. I swear I learned more in this lesson than she did. At the end we were like in aww and she then asked us some crazy question about Cain and his wife or something like that. She was crazy smart, but she really understands the gospel.

We lately have been teaching this family in my area. We first met them about a month ago and we helped them bring all these fruits to there house and ended up talking to them for a while. The dad's name is Oscar and his wife is Iris. They have these 2 kids (Iris who is 16 and also a little 2 year old who is so stinking cute). We have just been going over there teaching about the Book of Mormon and reading passages from it. Every time though it is always the most spiritual experience. They really understand and they always answer all the questions and listen. The girl Iris was the only one though that would read though when we would leave something for them to read. Finally this week we came by and the dad starting talking that he actually read and prayed and knows The Book of Mormon is true. The daughter already knew it was true and the mom still hasn't prayed. They were super Catholic, but the dad let the daughter go with us this week to church. She ended up loving it. What is the trial here is that the dad drives buses and works ALL THE TIME. So he never has time to come to church, but says that he may be coming with us to the temple this week.

Last night they invited us to come and make pupusas with them, cause I told them I am trying to learn to make them. They taught me how to make some super good ones and I ended up eating 11 of them. It was a lot of fun with them.

We are also teaching this family. The dad is the guy named Mario who was an Inactive member when I came, but he has come back to church. I think I already explained a little bit about them. We are teaching the mom right now (Glenda). She is pregnant right now and we are working to get them married. They both said yes this week to get married the 16th of July. That should be a lot of fun. Glenda will be getting baptized that same day.

Saturday we spent the whole day making Tamales with the Relief society. They are doing a fundraiser for the temple trip and they needed help. It was a lot of fun, but a bit hard to do. I don't think I could do them again.

Let's see... I think that is all that has happened for this week. This next week should be pretty sweet also. I love all of you and hope that your weeks go good. The GOSPEL IS TRUE!

Elder Gillette





No comments:

Post a Comment