Monday, July 25, 2011

July 25, 2011: Training Day

Hola familia,
Another fast week. It was a good week in all though. I had a lot of fun. I didn't even realize that it was pioneer weekend until just now when you all wrote me. Sounds like getting ready for the marathon has been crazy work. I hope to hear some good results.

So this week started out by me going to get my new comp from Santa Ana. I had to wake up at like 4 in the morning so we could leave to get there by like 8 in the morning. It was a crazy day. Monday night I got super sick and I was up all night with stomach problems. So it made the trip Tuesday morning that much harder. It was terrible. We got there and a couple of my other friends are training too, so that was pretty sweet. The best was when all the new missionaries walked in and they were all like super shy and wondering what was going on. I went and talked to a couple and they started asking a ton of questions. I thought mom would like to know that 6 sister missionaries came and I saw Hermana Campbell. She was super excited I could tell to see some she at least at heard about. She looks like she is doing pretty well though. I am pretty sure her trainer is a Latina.

We went through the first half of the meeting and I was SO TIRED. I could barely keep my eyes open luckily the nurses of the mission were there and they gave me something to help my stomach and after I felt a lot better. I feel super lucky though because President Cordon is new and I was able to be one of his first trainers in his time. So it was cool to see how he works and he is such a good teacher. He taught the trainers just for a bit and he gave us a lot of great hints on what we can do to be better.

I finally received the new missionary and his name is Elder Trump. He is from Connecticut and I asked him if he had been to Springfield and he says he knows the place and that it is pretty close. It is funny to be with a white kid. It is my first time. He actually knows quite a bit of Spanish (more than I knew when I came) and he has been adjusting well.

It was so much fun though to go through the whole starting process and like to feel and see all this all over again, but from a different perspective. It really made me feel how far I have come in the mission. Just that now I am the one answering all the million questions he has about El Salvador and helping with his Spanish and translating stuff. It has been really fun.

We got back that day and I had given my keys to Elder Romero so he could move out all of his stuff, but we were going to meet up at 6 or he was going to bring the keys to a members house. We ended up getting back with all this luggage and we couldn't find the keys. Finally we left his luggage with a member. I was thinking that was such a good first experience for him in our area haha, but he was super chill about it. We then left and got out to work and we taught one lesson and it all went really well.

But the work here is doing really well. We have a lot of great people right now that I am excited for. We are teaching this one guy Julio Cesar. He had a date for this past Sunday and was all ready, but decided that he needed to find a job spur of the moment and left for the whole weekend and we haven't been able to find him. He should be alright for this weekend though. He is hilarious though. The other day we found him and he is this like 55 year guy who still lives with his mom and he was wearing these sweet bright orange converse that a friend had given him with sky blue pants on. It was so funny.

This past Friday night also It rained so stinking hard. It rained for a good 3 hours and the lights went out at about 7:30 and they didn't come back on til after we had gone to sleep. It was crazy stuff. We got stuck in the house of a member for a while cause we didn't want to get caught up in it, but when it finally reached like 9:20 we realized we just had to book it home. It was crazy.

It has been fun showing the area around though. There is this part where you can just see hills and hills of corn fields and all types of vegetables and I absolutely love to see it and when my comp saw it for the first time it really was a jaw dropper. There are some extremely beautiful places here.

Let's see what else is going on... I feel like not that much more. We have done really well at working with our member and we just barely changed our cook. The new cook cooks amazing food. She made us pupusas Sunday for lunch. It was absolutely wonder full.

There is also a new training program right now where we study 4 hours every morning and I am absolutely loving it. I have been able to really get down and study a ton. I am reading the gospels right now. So amazing the work of Christ and all the stuff he did. I am also reading in Jacob and just got done with the Parable of the Vineyard. Not gonna lie it is still hard to understand parables and much harder in Spanish.

Well I love you all and I will talk to you next week!
Elder Gillette

No comments:

Post a Comment