Monday, July 4, 2011

July 4, 2011: La Jungla








¡FELIZ CUMPLEAÑOS PAPA Y AMERICA!

Wow, it feels weird to celebrate a birthday of a country you don't live in haha. I actually live with the most patriotic missionary in our mission. He has like a giant flag and he plays the star spangled banner every night. I think he will probably cry tonight as he looks at his flag while listening to the anthem, but it is all fun haha. I thought I would get a little patriotic and I found a shop that makes soccer jerseys. So I had them make me a USA one. It is super sweet.

This week went by super fast like always. I can't believe this week I will be completing 10 months in this mission. 8 months here in el salvador. Time really flies by.

So the good stories of this week are all shown in the pictures pretty much. We have been going to this new area that we really haven't visited to much because we have gotten some references for over there. We realized this week how much of the jungle it really is. It rained one night when we were out there and it started to flood. It was pretty fun and lucky that I have my water proof boots that we bought (ps that was the best buy we made before my mission). In this area though we have some really positive investigators and we are hoping to see them come to church and the temple.

Speaking of the temple. Tomorrow I get to go to the El Salvador San Salvador Temple!!!!! wahoo! I am super excited. We have been working so hard to invite EVERYONE to the temple. We will be bringing like 3 large buses of people. I probably won´t even have much time to enjoy the temple. I will probably just be contacting people the whole time. It should be a blast and I am super excited to see these investigators see the temple.

As I said it has kept raining (luckily). about 2 weeks ago we had someone break our water pipes and steal water. So we came home one night and water was running down the hill from the pipes. We got it turned off and we called the water department, but of course... we are in El Salvador and they told us they would come... they never came. We called again about 1 week later (luckily in our house we have a big like tub or font of water, I really don´t know how you would call it in English but it is a pila, and it is pretty big and our roof is a little broken and so the rain water runs right into the pool of water. Lucky for us in this week span it rained a lot and kept giving us water to shower with). and the said that "it is in process". so we called the owner of the house and he came and fixed it and we finally had water again.

That night we came home and we saw a giant fountain bursting from the pipe. Someone broke it AGAIN! so that was super sweet. The owner came over again but couldn't fix it then. So we have gone another week without water. Saturday we ran out of water, cause it hadn't rained, and we started trying to get the water out of the pipe in front. It actually worked. I sent a picture of my getting the water out. So that has been fun. Especially bathing with a bucket full of freezing cold rain water.

But in the work aspect everything is going super well. We have one baptism lined up for tomorrow. His name is Giovanni and I have explained him before. He passed his interview yesterday and all looks good for tomorrow.

We are teaching this less active guy named Mario and his girlfriend that he lives with named Glenda. She is like 4 months pregnant, but looks like she should have the baby at any moment. Her stomach is big. She came to church with us yesterday and she wants to get married and baptized. We just have to talk with Mario and help him.

Really I am just super excited to get to the temple and see what I have been waiting for after all this time. I have already heard stories in the little time it has been open and how magnificent it is.

Yesterday we got invited to a little family get together with our President of the Elders Quorum. We got there at 5:30 and we just ate and hung out with there family for a little. It hit me that the fam was probably all together at that moment also. It felt really good to be in that spirit of family even though it is like thousands of miles away, but it is the same love.

Other than that not much. I loved the pictures you all sent me. Kelsy keeps changing and growing up. It scares me. Hilz and Gen are really rocking the whole bangs thing. You both look like the Zoey Deschanel(or however you spell her name from yes man).

The fam looks good and Happy Birthday Dad. I hope this week goes great.

Oh and this Friday I got to meet my new mission President and his family. President Polonski Cordon. He was one of the 70 and just got released. Cosas Serias este hombre. He will be a great president. The story of the conversion of his wife was amazing. I love the spirit.

But I love you all and I will talk to you next week

Elder Gillette

No comments:

Post a Comment