Monday, March 21, 2011

March 21, 2011: "Work = Fruits"

HOLA FAMILIA,

Wow, crazy week this week with transfers, the new area, a new companion, and very different members. I started of this week with Elder Bonilla not wanting to do anything, but say bye to all the people. Not gonna lie the people didn't really like him all that much, but it was pretty hard for me even though I am still in the same stake. I really am just right across the highway from my first area.

Wednesday we did the huge change and everyone in my zone changed except one companionship of sisters. It was a crazy change, but a good one. I got my comp Elder Medina and he is a little shorter than me and looks like a Guatemalan, but is from the states. He has 13 months in the mission and lets see... he is exactly like Glenn. Which I love! Really he is so stinking nice and really wants to do the best for everyone and doesn't want to make anyone mad (which is a real difference from Elder Bonilla). He is just always happy which is a nice change. He kind of looks and talks like Napoleon Dynamite also. I will have to send a picture of us next week when I have one though. His Spanish though is not very good though. He really tries, but has major challenges with it. The people here are really honest about everything and tell him his Spanish sucks. It is lucky he is so humble, it is one thing I want to learn from him.

Our area is really sweet though. Everyone says it is one of the hardest in the mission, but I have always liked challenges so I thought this is a big one I could try. The bishop is one of the harder ones, but the members work. Our first day we went and did splits and everyday we have gone with the members. We have been working our butts off though. I have realized in the mission that if you want confidence or the respect of someone it doesn't do to much to talk to them and try and convince them, but it is better to just work and let it show through that. So this week we just ran and contacted every living thing. The good thing is that Elder Medina doesn't fight back at all. He just follows whatever I do. So as long as I am obedient and working, so is he.

But we came here and the bishop wasn't to happy to have us, cause I have such little time and cause my comp has some challenges, but I decided I was going to work my butt off and get his confidence by the end of this change. So the first day we went out with everything. This are has about one baptism a month or less. Last year they went like 5 months without a baptism. We went out our first day and put a baptismal date with this guy the missionaries before us tried to put the date with but couldn't (his name is Douglas and he is from Honduras. He is like 41 years old). We were so excited after and this week God has helped us so much. We have found such positive people.

That night though we bought this bottle of soda and a bunch of cookies for the bishop that we brought to him and his family. We stopped by his house that night and it went really well. He seems a lot more excited than before.

We also found these 3 brothers, Josué(18), Angel(12), and Alejandro(10), that we found Saturday. They were busy so we just invited them to church and yesterday they ended up coming. It was a CRAZY day yesterday in church. They all want to get baptized so we are going to go to talk with there parents tomorrow.

After all of this the ward is starting to look a lot better. The best part is every night we have been here so far we have gotten fed by one of the members. Last night we had a family home evening with this family that has a super nice house. We brought some less actives and they made the best food I have had here. It was a good time.

But it has been hard. The best is every night I go back and for a half an hour I lay in our hammock and read Jesus the Christ like as my reward. It is fun, but takes a lot to do everything. My comp has a harder time, so I just do everything, which I am fine with. He is a good guy though.

Great that BYU is in the Sweet 16. it would be cool to hear that they got to the final four.
Hey when you send packages, send them to the same address. It sends it to the mission offices and they send them from there.

Thanks for the letters and the support. I am going to continue to work as hard as I can and I know we will continue to see the fruits of our labors. It has been a good lesson in Hope. Love you all though and talk to you next week.

Elder Gillette

No comments:

Post a Comment