Monday, April 25, 2011

April 25, 2011: Semana Santa

Hello!

Well crazy crazy week. This week was one of the craziest, coolest, most cultural filled weeks of my life! So this week is Easter right? well here they don't celebrate Easter. They celebrate the whole week and do stuff for like everyday. Like no one here has work or school or anything for the whole week. It is a really big deal here(although I here it is just INSANE in Guatemala). But all in all a really fun week.

We started off going to the lake (and most of the pictures attached are from the lake) and after we played basketball and stuff. We had a training thing in San Salvador this week also that was really sweet. It was fun to see friends of mine and even better that now that I have almost 8 months (CRAZY!) I actually know people now. We left from there and went contacting that night and I had gotten reminded something so important during that training thing and that is how I should always be myself. I started to get into robot mode the past couple weeks just trying to get so many things done. It was crazy. but this week I decided to relax a bit and start joking with the people and have fun and really it has made the difference.

So many people rejected us this week cause they were busy or something and it was sucky, but I would start to joke with them and talk about our lives, just like normal people and in the end we got invited into a lot of houses and found a couple really sweet families. One of the families we found the dad was a soccer player in the world cup for El Salvador and now is one of the coaches. He has a son that played soccer too and there were them two and the wife and we taught them. It was probably the most powerful lesson I have ever felt. We just talked at the beginning a lot and he showed us this like scrapbook that his wife had made of all his soccer stuff. Like all these newspaper clippings and crazy stuff. It was awesome to see and after it like directed some how to the gospel. I started referencing the gospel to his work. Like how prophets are like referees and how would any sport be without referees? crazy, without order, lots of stuff. He after really understood the significance of a prophet and her really loved the analogy.

This Friday was the day of the most craziness. This is the day when Christ dies and stuff so everyone makes red carpets and puts them all through the town. Then everyone gathers and walks around the town with like idols and stuff. It is crazy. I didn't see to much and I here it wasn't as crazy because that day when it was suppose to start it rained really bad.

It has started to rain a lot here and I believe the rainy season starts in may and the good news is that this past week is the hottest week in the whole year. So now I just have to make it through the rainy part.

So crazy other part. I have just finished my fourth transfer in the mission. We got the call last night for who is going to leave and all. The people in the ward are super sweet and I have grown to love them so stinking much. We received the call and because of how great we are doing here and I thought that neither of us would leave. We got the call and the news is that I am finally leaving Santa Ana! crazy right. I am going to a place called Ahuachapan. I am going to place which I hear is like towns and stuff. Not a ton. But I am super excited. I also got moved up to senor Companion also. I am going to be with another Latin I believe he is from Guatemala. His name is Elder Romero.

But ya so this week has been a bit crazy. I am not excited at all to tell the members here that I am leaving. The Ascencio family is going to kill me. their nephew is going to get baptized this Saturday and Erick the dad is going to Baptize him! So I am going to ask special permission from president to come back and see that. Wow I am going to miss that family they are awesome!

Well that's about it for this week. I love you all and Happy late Easter. Sounds like things were crazy over there too. Love you all and talk to you next week!

Elder Gillette








No comments:

Post a Comment