Monday, January 23, 2012

January 23, 2012: Las Conferencias






Hey Fam,

Wow, what a great week this week. I had to work a ton, but it was so worth it in the end. I got to participate in so many wonderful things and some great stories I got too. I think you all remember that this is the week that Elder Nelson came to El Salvador. So did some other General authorities. We had a meeting with the both missions in El Salvador and listened to Elder Clayton from the 70 talk. It was a sweet Conference and I learned a lot. He actually spoke really good spanish. I was surprised. He served in like Argentina on his mission or something. His wife was really smart too.

Our whole week though was so wrapped up in just inviting everyone to the Conference we had this Sunday with Elder Nelson. We invited everyone. It was really sweet seeing all the members getting so excited, because for them it is a lot bigger of a deal. We went and visited a ton of people and met some really interesting people. We met some old guy that when we contacted him he wasn't a member, but the first thing he asked us was, "Is that David O. Mckay still alive?" It was so hilarious. He looks like a skinny Albert Einstein. I will definitely take a picture with him so you can all see how he looks.

So this week I checked something off my bucket list of the mission. We did something I think every missionary wants to do in their mission. Let me tell ya about it.

- ON saturday we were about to get on the bus when we saw how many invitations we still had to give out for the conference. We decided that all though we still had like 100 to give out that we would figure out how to give them all out. We got on the bus and I turned to my comp and was like, "it´s time!" He was a little confused and I started to pass out the invitations to all of the people on the bus. The bus was full and probably had about 60 people on it. He looks and realized what I was wanting to do and he asked, "You are going to talk." I told him that I was passing the invitations and doing my part and that he had to do his. So he went to the front and started preaching on this bus that was like flying super fast and in front of a whole bunch of people. We gave everyone an invitation and when we ended we sat down and we felt a little awkward. Then someone on the bus like 5 row behind me yelled to me, "And where is this going to be?! You never told us" I told him where the chapel is. He then stood up to get off for his stop and looked at me and said, "see ya tomorrow". I was pumped getting off that bus. We got off and we decided that that went really well. Later on when we had to take another bus we got on and this time Elder Hobbs gave the invitations and I spoke in front of everyone. It was only like half full that time, but it was sweet. Hobbs took some pictures and those are what I sent. It was SO SWEET!

So Sunday came and we got there early after trying to bring some investigators. The conference was at 10, but by 8:30 the chapel was already filled. We filled every other room too. They put TV's in the other rooms. IT was crazy. It was amazing though to see Elder Nelson in the chapel though. He talked about all the perfect stuff and touched the points that the People of El Salvador. The whole time him and his wife had a translator and when someone else was talking they had earphones on of someone that was translating all that was being said. I don't think he can speak to much Spanish, but when he was ending his talk he took a pause and turned to the translator and said that he wanted to speak in Spanish. He wanted to talk to the people. He all of the sudden started speaking super good Spanish. I was in awe. It was not only amazing that he was speaking in Spanish, but he was talking about the Atonement of Christ and Really... I can't even explain the spirit that was there. It was one of the most amazing things I have seen and felt.

We left right before it got out to help usher and right as we got to out spot out walked Elder Nelson. He came up to me and my comp and shook our hands and asked our names. It was such an amazing experience. I couldn't even believe it. I was super blessed yesterday. We had 5 investigators go yesterday and all of them said they absolutely loved the conference. I did too.

Well that is my big news for the week. It was a great weekend and we are hoping that we can carry this spirit on in the upcoming weeks and have even more success. I love you all and I too think it is weird you all don't have a lot of snow. I guess I am not missing much.

That sucks that the Patriots and the Giants. I root for the Giants, but either way like I said before, I am not missing much haha.

I love you all and hope you all have a great week. Have fun too and make sure to enjoy the little things in life!

Elder Gillette

1 comment:

  1. Hey there, what is Dano's mailing address? I feel like a horrible person, because I haven't written him at all yet.

    ReplyDelete